Pages

Sunday, May 11, 2008

[.on.a.poem.that.i.keep.dear.]

Now I should admit I cannot guarantee the consistency of the content of this blog :-) In any case, I created this blog to be able to jot down whatever thought I have, whenever I want. Though initially the priority was set for my works on graphics - why don't we say that now possibility is unlimited?

I've been very tired lately (oh, not another excuse for delaying new graphics!). Lots of works? Yes. And some unexpected things in my personal life, too. But somehow, in my case, as quoted by a friend "problems always come in batallion" - so do help and encouragement. I noticed that for every thing that made me upset, came several surprises that made me jump for joy. One bad news made me cry the whole night, the next few days I got only great news that left me smiling and laughing - and fascinated. What arrangement by the universe. Perhaps I should thank mom for making me believe that every trouble is only a sign that something wonderful is on its way to us. It will take sometime to heal, but strength is regained.

I looked at the pinboard on my desk. A poem is attached there. One of my favorite passage from "Markings" - the diary of Dag Hammarskjöld. "Markings" - notably "the enduring spiritual classic", is one of my favorite readings, especially when I need a spiritual lift. I have a great admiration to this great man, the UN Secretary General 1953-1961. Even though it started with a curiosity as I found it difficult to pronounce his last name - and it was when in history class we learned about the UN and for a test we had to know the names of the Secretary Generals by heart. But even the smallest curiosity led me to learn more about Dag Hammarskjöld and my admiration grew. And a few years ago I started to read "Markings", and this is a book that I keep dear.


photo: UN/DPI Photo/imagebank.sweden.se


July 6, 1961

Tired
And lonely,
So tired
The heart aches.
Meltwater trickles
Down the rocks,
The fingers are numb,
The knees tremble.
It is now,
Now, that you must not give in.

On the path of the others
Are resting places,
Places in the sun
Where they can meet.
But this
Is your path,
And it is now,
Now, that you must not fail.

Weep
If you can,
Weep,
But do not complain.
The way chose you -
And you must be thankful.


Dag Hammarskjöld, 1905-1961

No comments:

Post a Comment

    follow me on Twitter