Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2008

[.royal.images.]

Mom reminded me - on the phone - "tomorrow is the princess' wedding! I'm following the processions from the local tv station"

Yay! I almost forgot how the Sultan of Yogyakarta is still the number one person in the region, my hometown. And somehow my mom is fanatical. Our house is located not far from the Royal Palace, thus my mom just kept reporting how crowded the streets are.

I'm so proud of my mom, she's an enthusiastic guardian of our javanese tradition - something as a kid and teenager I was struggling to run away from. But now, living 600 km away from my hometown, the life and cultural aspects of javanese town Yogyakarta started to fascinate me. There were times I felt like a tourist when listening to mom talking about the beauty of traditionally handmade batik from Yogyakarta; which pattern to wear in what occasion, that special technique to fold the front side of the sheets when you wear it. And don't ask her about the philosophy behind the batik, because I doubt she would stop...

Anyay, back to the Royal Palace of Yogyakarta, I still have some more pictures from my last visit there last year. As a kid, I used to think that it was 'just a royal palace'. Now, however, as my interest in culture, history and design grow, it is something really unique and special. I begin to think whether you always should go and see something from the distance - to be able to look at that something from a fresh perspective. Then, when you come back, you can appreciate it more than ever before. I wonder...



























Link: The Royal Palace of Yogyakarta (Kraton Yogyakarta):
http://www.yogyes.com/en/yogyakarta-tourism-object/places-of-interest/kraton/

my previous entry on the Royal Palace of Yogyakarta here

1 comment:

  1. I love the photos. Gives me a real feeling about the area where you live.
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

    follow me on Twitter